What are NFTs: NFTs are special kinds of digital tokens that are unique and non-replaceable. Similar to a painting which is one-of-a-kind or or a baseball card which is not interchangeable with other items, NFTs can be unique digital items (artwork, music, videos, virtual environment a game etc).
Brief history of NFTs: NFTs are around since at least 2017, but became more popular in recent years due to factors such as:
· development of blockchain technology (the term is explained further in this article)
· rise of cryptocurrency (they are like virtual coins or tokens that you can use to pay for things online: e.g. Bitcoin, Ethereum, or Litecoin)
· growth of online marketplaces such as OpenSea, Rarible, SuperRare etc.
· expansion of use cases: People started using them to buy and sell unique digital items, like art and collectibles, in a way similar to physical items.
· increased media attention.
- Art and collectibles: For example, an artist can make a digital painting and sell an NFT of that painting to someone. The NFT would prove that the buyer owns the digital painting and it is one-of-a-kind.
- Gaming: for example in video games NFTs can represent virtual items or experiences. As such, a player can buy an NFT representing a special weapon or armor in a specific game. The NFT would prove that the player owns that virtual item and can use it in the game.
- Music: for example musicians can use NFTs to in relation to their music and sell it to fans. The NFT would prove that the fan is the owner of a unique copy of the music, and could allow them access to special perks or experiences.
- Fashion and design: for example fashion designers and brands can make NFTs to represent their clothing and accessories. The NFT would prove that its buyer owns a unique item and could give them access to special events or experiences.
- Sports and entertainment: for example a sports team can sell an NFT representing a unique experience with a player. Or a concert promoter can sell an NFT that gives the owner access to a special meet-and-greet with a musician.
- Decentralized finance (DeFi): decentralized finance is a way of using a blockchain (a special kind of computer technology) to create financial services that are not controlled by a central authority. In this case, for example an NFT can represent ownership of a digital asset like a share of a company, and can be used in such a DeFi system to buy and sell that asset.
- Technical details: NFTs are built using a blockchain. A blockchain is a digital ledger, which keeps track of transactions and makes it very hard for anyone to cheat or change the records. Also NFTs use smart contracts, which are computer programs that can automatically perform certain actions when certain conditions are met. For example, if someone buys an NFT, the smart contract might automatically transfer the ownership of the NFT to that buyer and send him the digital item represented by the NFT. The process of creating NFTs on a blockchain (usually Ethereum) is called “minting” and has a cost — in case of Ethereum block is paid in “gas” (which is a crypto token used on Ethereum)
- Buying and selling NFTs: is done on online marketplaces (like OpenSea and Rarible), as well as on special platforms called decentralized exchanges (DEXs) which use blockchain technology for facilitating trades. In order to be able to buy an NFT, you need to pay for it using a cryptocurrency (for example Ethereum).
- Storing and managing NFTs: After buy the NFT, you have to store it somewhere. NFTs can be stored in digital wallets, that are designed especially to hold cryptocurrency and other digital assets. There are many different types of wallets available, and is important to do your research and find one which is secure and also easy to use. Once you have stored the NFT in a wallet, you view it, transfer it to someone else, or you can sell it. Also you can add metadata to your NFT (which is information about the NFT, helping you or other people to understand what it represents).
Potential benefits: NFTs have many benefits, such as the following:
· A benefit of NFTs is that they can help prove the authenticity of the digital item to which they are attached. For example, in case of a NFT related to a digital painting created and sold by an artist, that NFT can prove that the painting is real and was created by the artist.
· Another benefit is that NFTs can help create scarcity (this represents the idea that something is rare and valuable due to the limited supply of it). Each NFT is unique, therefore they can help create scarcity for digital items, that might otherwise be easily copied or shared.
· NFTs can give people a sense of ownership over digital items (this can be especially important for collectors or fans who want to support their favorite artists or brands).
Potential drawbacks: There are also some potential drawbacks to using NFTs.
· One concern refers to the environmental impact of NFTs. The process of creating and trading NFTs requires a lot of energy, which can contribute to climate change.
· Another concern is that since the market for NFTs is still very new, there is a lot of speculation and hype around them. Therefore is for for people to know if what they are paying for an NFT is fair price or is worth to invest in it.
· In any market there is risk of fraud, and the NFT market is no exception. Therefore is important to do your research and be careful when buying and selling NFTs to avoid being scammed.
- In this article, we learned about NFTs, which are digital tokens unique and non-fungible items like art, collectibles, and virtual assets. We also learned about the different ways that NFTs are being used and how they work, as well as the pros and cons of using NFTs.
- Future potential of NFTs: generally there is a belief that NFTs can potential change the way we think about ownership and value for digital items. While more people start using NFTs, they can become more mainstream and more widely accepted, as a way to represent and trade unique digital assets.
1. Do your research: Before starting to buy or sell NFTs, it is important to understand them
2. Start small: start with small investment (only what you can afford to lose). Is good to be cautious, because NFT market is still very new and there is a lot of speculation and risk involved.
3. Use reputable platforms to buy and sell NFTs: for example OpenSea or Rarible. Avoid platforms having a history of fraud, or platforms which not well-known .
4. Keep your NFTs safe: Use a secure digital wallet to store your NFTs. Also make sure to keep safe your private keys (special codes that allow you to access your NFTs).
5. Have fun: NFTs can be a fun and exciting way to explore the world of digital art and collectibles.
VI. Resources for further reading and learning about NFTs
If you’re interested in learning more about NFTs, here are a few resources to check out:
- Popular NFT Marketplaces where you can buy and sell NFTs: OpenSea, Rarible , Nifty Gateway, Super rare, Binance, NBA Top Shot
- Decentralized Exchanges (DEXs) which allow you to buy and sell NFTs using cryptocurrency: Uniswap , 0x
- NFT Projects and Communities: There are many different projects and communities working on NFTs and related technologies. Some examples include the Ethereum project, the NFT Collective, and the Non-Fungible Alliance.
- NFT Blogs and News: There are many blogs and news outlets that cover the NFT space. Some popular examples include The Defiant, NFT News, and NFT Market.
- NFT Artists and Collectors: There are many artists and collectors who are active in the NFT space and can provide valuable insights and perspectives. Some popular examples include Trevor Jones, Mad Dog Jones and Digital Artists Guild.
Remember to always do your own research and be cautious when buying and selling NFTs, as the market is still very new and there are risks involved.
Follow me for more, if you liked this article .